Monday, February 23, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Yes we are home, thank God! Every time the docs made rounds Drew would ask them when could he go home. It was always the same answer, depends. Drew wanted to go home so bad that on Sunday he was just about doing cart wheels down the hall ways to show that he was ready. It worked. Drew's new kidney started working right away. His creatintin stated at 6.1 on Thursday and today it is 2.9!! Drew feels so much better.
I had some interesting experiences while I was in the hospital. First of all, the Staff on 10 tower were excellent. They were very prompt in answering the call light and I felt very well cared for. I could not have asked for any better care. But back to my interesting experiences. I have a history of major motion sickness and I didn't want to be nauseated post-op so I requested a scopolamine patch. I put the patch on the day of surgery, I was really out of it Thursday night but Friday night I was more with it. Saturday morning I woke up thinking I had really weird dreams. I attributed it to all the machines in my room such as my plum pump, my SCD hose my O2 bubbling away and my continuous pulse oximeter which makes noise. I took a nap early Saturday afternoon. I woke myself up talking to the IV pole. Now I know both Scop and morphine could cause hallucinations but I was thinking it was just a dream. Sunday morning I woke up talking to my plum pump! When I realized what I was doing I looked around to make sure no one else was in the room to hear me talking to the pump. I had a choice, either I deal with the hallucinations and keep the patch on or take the patch off and risk nauaea. I chose to keep the patch on and just not answer the machines in my room when they asked me a question. But my plan didn't work out quite that way. This morning I woke up to what I thought was a man calling out to come to his room. I almost hit the nurse call button when I remembered the hallunications so I sat up to hear where the sound was coming from and again, it was the plum pump making a weird noise.
Next time I'm going to skip the scop patch.

1 comment:

Ann Clark said...

I'm so happy things are going well. I love your story about talking to the equipment! Eric and will come see you soon. Let me know when Drew is ready for some cheese crackers!
Love and kisses!