Saturday, March 7, 2009

Signs of Rejection

Drew is still in the hospital. His creatinine has gone from 1.5 to 4.3. Yesterday he had a kidney biopsy. The biopsy had some good news and bad news, the good news is there is no ATN (Acute Tubular Necrosis) meaning the kidney tissue looks good, the bad news is they found some antibodies his body is making against the kidney. This is bad. Apparently there are 2 types of rejection- the kidney cells can reject the body which is most common and best treatable then there is what Drew has which is where the host will make antibodies against the kidney (Drew's body is rejecting the kidney). This is also treatable but more difficult. They have changed his central line out to a Perm-a-cath so that they can do a Plasma Pheresis (they changed out his IV in his neck to a catheter that they can do a form of dialysis where they remove the protein in his blood which will also remove the antibodies). This will give him roughly 50-50 chance of keeping the kidney. What is on our side is the kidney tissue looks very good the antibodies have not damaged the kidney so we are on the positive side of 50-50. They caught this early and the docs are staying on top of his condition.
Having said that- I can't say enough good things about how Drew is being treated here on 10 tower. I am very pleased with the nursing care here, of course, they all know I work here and they are not holding that against me. I have never been a floor nurse but I know ICU nurses can be very territorial.The nurses on 10 T have been great. The docs have been awesome too.

Please keep Drew in your prayers! Your overwhelming support has been a huge comfort to the both of us.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Millie,
I am so surprised and concerned about Drew. Please know that you both are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Caroline

patrckb said...

Millie,
Thanks for the update. I'm keeping you both in my prayers!
Patrick

Millie said...

Thank you that means a great deal to me.